Saturday, February 21, 2009

I heart Suze Orman

It's Saturday at 9:00 pm, and I'm about to watch Suze Orman. Many of you who know me well have probably realized I love, love, LOVE learning about personal finance. Even though it isn't the most glamorous of subjects right now, I feel now is also the most important time to get smart about finances.

However, I feel that while I'm raving about my passion for personal finance, I must also confess my love/hate relationship with the segment "Can I afford it?" It brings up that whole problem with comparison that I spoke about in a previous entry. It seems that when someone on the show is doing better than me, I get jealous. They have $9000 a month take home? What?!? They already have how many hundred thousand in retirement?!? But then, when there is someone who is in debt, or makes less than me, I feel better. I have a feeling that tonight's show will really test my progression with my comparison issue. However, it's coming up soon next so I'm going to watch and report.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I did reasonably well during the segment this week. I still felt those urges like "Holy cow, how does a 31 year old bring home $10k a month?!?!?", but then I realized that she is probably a lawyer or doctor, which is not where I am destined to head with my life. I still have a long way to travel, but I now feel that I at least try to tell myself to stop and to rationalize those jealous claims. This was the first conscious test I've had since writing that past entry, and I think I did well. Now I just need to start making a conscious decision more often. I also need to blog more often....oops! :)

No comments: