Friday, June 20, 2008

Taking Time For Myself

So I'm getting off work early today. Usually on a day like this I would go home and lay around all night until Greg got off work - then on Saturday I would feel completely unfulfilled because on the evening before I took no time for myself. Well not today!

Today I am going to do two very productive and fun things. First, I am going to visit two museums right by my work (considering our office is literally blocks from the National Mall). I'm heading to the National Gallery of Art first to see a really interesting photography exhibit by Richard Misrach. The exhibit is called "Ocean Views" and is a collection of a bunch of photographs taken of people on the beach. I didn't find the title too interesting, but after I read the description I knew I had to see it:

"For more than thirty years, the American photographer Richard Misrach (b. 1949) has made provocative work that addresses contemporary society's relationship to nature, especially the American West. Since 2001, he has made a series of large scale (six by ten feet), lushly colored photographs of swimmers and sunbathers in Hawaii. Looking down from a hotel room directly adjacent to the beach, he has eliminated all references to the horizon and sky to record people immersed in the idyllic environment. Yet, despite the beauty of the scene, a strange sense of disquietude pervades these photographs. Made in the days immediately after September 11, 2001, these photographs speak of the unease and sense of foreboding that pervaded the country after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The title of the series, On the Beach, is drawn from Nevil Shute's cold war novel about nuclear holocaust. This exhibition will present 19 of these photographs."

WOW! I'm really excited about this. It makes me want to see more of his exhibits. I think I just might.

After that it's off to the Museum of Natural History where I will see a photography exhibit entitled "Ocean Views". Pretty self explanatory, it is a bunch of nature photographs taken both beneath and on the surface of the ocean. Humorous how they coincide so well. While I'm sure I will look at other things along the way, these are the two exhibits I will set out to see. No longer will I go home and sulk rather than taking advantage of my incredible surroundings!

Then on the way home I will stop off at Pentagon City for an adventure of another kind: shopping for a business suit. I have a really exciting job interview next week and I want to enter into it feeling as professional and confident as possible.

This should be an great evening. I am excited. Doesn't it make you want to go out and enjoy time to yourself?

No comments: