Friday, March 27, 2009

Impatience

**Before I begin my thought, I've noticed that I use a lot of one-word titles. Interesting.

I don't have a scale at home. This means when I go to the gym I am determined to get a good approximation of my weight. Today I was a bit disheartened because I hadn't lost even a quarter of a pound since my last weigh-in on Tuesday. However, I forgot to think about one important fact - girls often gain weight (anywhere from 2-5 pounds in fact) during a particular timeframe each month. I realize this means I probably have lost weight, but even with that knowledge I'm still frustrated. Why do we women do this to ourselves? We finally make a huge decision to change our lifestyles and then get all bent out of shape when we don't lose 10 pounds in a week! I mean I've lost between 3-4 pounds since I started last Tuesday. That's something! I'm trying so hard to learn to accept the fact that even if I only lose 1 pound in a week, I'm still doing something very right. I'm trying to reach my goal weight by July, and even if I only lose the recommended 1-2 pounds per week I'll be well on my way there. I also don't want to consider only weight in this lifestyle change; I need to begin considering size (howt hings fit), health (how I feel), and habits (if the choices I'm making are actually sticking, or if it's another fad). So there is my goal. Now I just need to have some patience in working toward it!

In other news, it's finally spring. Yay for being outdoors!

2 comments:

Jessica Bates said...

Remember that losing more than 2lbs a week (as an average) is actually NOT healthy for you! Your body can't keep up with the changes when we so quickly and drastically drop the weight. Losing 1-2 pounds a week is a good pace! Keep being smart and realistic about your goals and it will help with the impatience.

So says me. :)

The Lowe Writers said...

Thanks Jess! Deep down I know this...but it can be hard to keep that healthy mindset in today's obsessive culture. Thanks for all your support and encouragement - much appreciated dear friend.