Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Journey to Thirty

This afternoon, just before leaving work, I had one of those conversations that caused me to shift my paradigm oh so slightly. It was with a friend who is currently living and working in Germany, and a woman who has become a major role model for me in recent years. Before her 30th birthday, she resolved to lose weight and quit her job, no matter what. And she did it - in style (hence the whole Germany thing)!

So today, on the eve of my 29th birthday, I asked her a simple question: "Any tips for my last year as a 20-something?" This broad question brought on a short, but sweet and powerful conversation. First and foremost, she said to set goals; selfish goals that must absolutely be achieved by the time I reach 30!

From there, she went on to say that in the process of achieving her goals she had also, subconsciously, resolved to become more like the person she knew and loved before the DC rat race brought her down. During her time in "Corporate America" she had lost herself - lost sight of her strengths and passions. Boy doesn't THAT sound familiar?!

We discussed how she believes our generation has been wronged by those who've indoctrinated us to believe that we are failures if our work doesn't absolutely correlate with our passions. She essentially called BS, claiming that she had no idea what she wanted to do with her life or career and fully embraced that fact. I have mad respect for this woman!

I think the subsequent paradigm shift I plan to make will be the most vital one in the history of my career. I want to gravitate toward work that either: 1) allows me to indulge in my creative passions and longing to be intellectually stimulated and challenged while at work, or 2) allows me the flexibility to indulge in said passions and stimulating/challenging pursuits outside of work. THAT is where I want to focus professionally. So whether it be photography, Arbonne, a regular 9 to 5, or something completely different, I plan to find out what this means for me!

Rediscovering my passions, investing in my health, and finding a way to consistently indulge in both pursuits for the rest of my life...THIS will be my journey to 30!

No comments: