Monday, October 13, 2008

Take it Easy!

News Flash! Rachel is VERY hard on herself. VERY! A little self-disclosure here: I got an A- on my first paper in my "easier" class of the semester. But here's the funny part about it. I got an A- on my first paper in the harder class, as well. When I got an A- in the harder course, I celebrated. When I learned of the A- in the easier course, I become very, very frustrated. What was the difference in the two situations? Class average!

In the harder course, which has hundreds of pages of reading a week, and is touted as the most difficult class in the entire program by all who have thus completed it, the class average on the first paper was a B-. So I did better than everyone. In the easier course, which requires much less reading and is touted by all as a fun elective, the class average was an A+. Not to mention, the teach often looks to me for knowledge as I work in an office closely related to the subject matter. So there ya go...I kicked butt in the course where the expectations are rough and many of my classmates did not do so hot. But in comparison to classmates in the expected "fun" course, I did fairly badly. What's wrong with this picture? THEY ARE THE SAME GRADE!?!?! Why is it that in one instance I celebrate, and even call Greg to brag, and in the other, I want to go hand my head in a corner and mope!

There are two conclusions I have come to in regards to this topic:

First, I am far too much of a perfectionist when it comes to grades. FAR too much. I get so sick of moping when I don't get perfect on every paper, or do not land at the top of the class on every assignment. It's a self-made form of stress and frustration and I'm SO sick of it.

Second, I am also sick of comparing myself to others. Who cares, an A- is an A- is an A-! It's a good grade. Stop whining.

Okay, so there you go. Probably too much self-disclosure there. But somehow I trust that those of who you regularly read this blog are not surprised in the least.

No comments: