Saturday, January 17, 2009

Getting Over Sickness

Last weekend, I came down with a cold. Normally, this would be kind of inconvenient, but not that big of a deal. However, this happened right after I discovered I was lucky enough to land two tickets to the swearing in ceremony of President-Elect Barack Obama on Tuesday morning. This means standing in cold 30-some degree weather for several hours, which would not be good if I were still in the middle of a cold. Thankfully, I am finally starting to feel better, although I still have an annoying cough.

So what did I learn from this experience? I'm still not sure, since I'm smack in the middle of it. But I can tell you a few preliminary things.

1) I miss exercise! The one thing that sucks about being sick is that it's not good to overexert yourself...which includes progressive runs. Boo! I was actually starting to enjoy getting in the routine of running again. Oh well, something to look forward to the week after inauguration I guess.

2) I am a miserable sick person. Greg said it best -- the worst thing about being sick is the feeling of being absolutely useless. I hate being useless. It's bad enough when I do nothing productive through my own procrastination, but it's even worse when I can't do a darn thing about it. So maybe this will help me be more productive when I'm healthy? Not sure....

3) I need to start taking WAY better care of myself! First of all, I think part of the reason the cold hit me so hard was because I haven't been very good about taking my vitamins, eating well, exercising, etc. Also, I've been super bad about keeping up my beauty routine while I've been sick so all my acne, etc. has come back. Boo! So once I'm back to health (starting today actually) I will start washing my face, masking, etc. again.

So all in all, the sickness has been horrible, but I believe it will help me appreciate my health all the more and it's made me catch up on rest. It was a sucky way to get to this point, but I'm glad I did!

No comments: